Monday, April 9, 2012

Top Ten Gelatz

Yes, I know I'm in Spain now. But if there's one thing I miss about Italy, especially on days under a sizzling Sevillan sun, is gelato. Sweet, creamy, multi-flavored gelatz topped in a crunchy waffle cone.

I'm drooling (or just sweating...)

So, while in Italy, I took careful notes on all of my gelato excursions and came up with what I consider the best. You may want to study this very carefully if you ever venture to Italy.
I pledge my allegiance to Gelato.

1. Biscottino
Oddly enough, it’s not quite gelato. The sign always says “Gelato non gelato,” but two gelatos in a sentence means gelato to me. It’s a lot creamier than the actual gelato, pretty much like a heavy whipped cream. What makes it really delectable is the little crunchy cookies in it. It is oreo ice cream, Italian style. So therefore, better.

2. Walnut
Sounds a little strange, but I swear it is a pleasant surprise. It is the same color of walnuts, kind of helps support the idea of minimal artificial flavoring. Since it’s cold and creamy, I’m not going to say it tastes like a walnut, but I think the reason I like it so much is because it reminds me of when I used to get cinnamon bun batter ice cream (before they discontinued it </3) at Cold Stone and put walnuts in it.

Pit stop in Venice for Pistachio.
3. Pistachio
All I think of in my head when I request this is my Dad screaming through the phone to request this when I go to Rita’s. Rita’s doesn’t always have it, however. Italy does. It is their staple flavor, so much so that McDonald’s has a Pistachio McFlurry. Walnut isn’t quite a walnut but Pistachio is most positively a pistachio. I didn’t think it was possible, but they made a frozen creamy treat salty to perfection. The tiny little grains of ground pistachio aren’t even bothersome. The rich green color is just as natural as the Sicilian taste of the expensive ass nuts. It is my official go-to flavor.

4. Settevelli
This is a magical concoction paying homage to a cake like dessert of the same name. It is a rich dark chocolatey base with what tasted like a sort of whipped cream, but not quite marshmallow, swirl. Definitely my go-to flavor when I needed a quick chocolate fix.

5. Cannoli Cream
Hello? Need I say more?

6. Cinnamon
I actually got this on accident, but what a beautiful disaster it was! So the girl’s like “wanna try this gross rice cherry flavor?” So I was like, YEAH. And I hated it. So I asked for pistachio then a sample of cinnamon, so she just slopped it on my cone. My nerves immediately shot through my face. I thought it was going to be the first gelato cone I would throw out. One lick, however, and I was in love. THIS is where ColdStone modeled my favorite ice cream flavor after: Cinnamon Bun Batter. I don’t know if Turkey Hill has a version of this, but I am surely going to die without it in the States.

7. Cookies
This delicacy is a rarity; so much so that the only place I’ve found it was the infamous “Old Bridge” right near the Vatican. Appropriate; this is a God of gelatos. Not quite chocolate chip and still not chocolate chip cookie dough, but it’s my favorite part of a cookie making experience: the dough. Straight, delectable, buttery floury frothy dough. In gelato form, which I’m assuming means no raw eggs. Acceptable NOW?
King of Gelato. Old Bridge <3

8. Ricotta and Pistachio
Also only experienced thus far at Old Bridge, this doesn’t leave much the imagination. I already explained the way pistachio is a blend of chunks and salt to make an oddly sweet desert. Now stir it up with some delicious ricotta that I was under the impression only the South Beach Diet noted as a scrumptious treat, and you have yet another Holy Relic of desserts.

9. Cappuccino
My favorite ice cream in the states is coffee, but for some reason I was never truly enticed into choosing coffee gelato. Perhaps because the name is just not Italian enough. Cappuccino certainly steps up to the plate. It doesn't quite have the coffee bite like the self named flavor. It's much more creamy, directly simulating the experience of drinking the foamy coffee concoction with triple the calories.

10. Tiramisu
The Italian dessert that, if not made right, will get you drunk in a quite unenjoyable way isn't just at our favorite 24-hour bakery. In gelatz form, it is not layered, but rather a fully combined experience. When you lick into it, you can certianly be fooled into thinking that it actually has a cake like consistency. And no fork needed.

2 comments:

  1. You make me want to go to our Gelato shop in St. Augustine! Yum! More flavors to try, did they not have a lovely limoncello??

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I will be sure to try the cinnamon next time, it's always there but sounds to boring, you've intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete