Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bon appétit

I guess I'm starting to learn some français. It dawned on my yesterday that Bonjour is literally "good day."

Genius, I know.

So aside from gradually becoming accustomed to the language, I'm working with the food.

Actually, working with is a vast understatement. If you know me at all, you know I eat anything at all and usually enjoy it.

For instance: Last night at dinner, in our cafeteria no less, we had the choice between fish and sheep. Considering how starving I was, having eaten nothing all day but peanut butter crackers I had stashed since the flight and a french pastry which was about as many calories as a spoonful of ice cream, I had initially said to myself "I'm getting the fish." My desperate need to eat implored me to choose the option I knew would definitely satisfy. Then my conscience kicked in and reminded me that I'd lie awake all night wondering what it tastes like and yelling at myself for kittying out.

So I ate the little sheep. And it was good and I was completely satisfied and proud that I'd get to tell my dad of my culinary adventure.

Snails in the near future!

They actually sell them in the super market in little refrigerated packets! It was very tempting, but I figured my first shelled slug experience should be a little more dignified. Like, prepared from a restaurant. I skipped it and settled on the decision to live on rice cakes and Nutella for lunch for as long as I can. (Aren't you proud, Jonathan!?)

All in all, I'm having a wonderful eating experience and can't wait to shove all their delicacies down my throat. Just need to be conscious of all those white bread baguettes. I guess I'll have to save some carbs by not dipping it into my coffee bowl for breakfast (and that is completely not an exaggeration.)

4 comments:

  1. Quite the adventurer you are.."sheep", but of course, you made Dad PROUD...Nice choices in the cafeteria I'm impressed, treating you better than in Queens...Now since Fancynancy always knows best you'll be missing the peanut butter I wnated to send you with, well Nutella it is..Hahaha...But enjoy those baguettes for me and I'll have peanut butter for you...Love always...:-) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah there was ham and cheese for dinner tonight. I'd rather the sheep.

      Peanut butter issss available.. but, when in Paris! but uh, fancy nancy does know best. thank god i brought snacks.

      love you!!

      Delete
  2. sheep!?!?!?! eat some for me... I guess. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snails with garlic and butter...Lite white wine to wash it down..Now thats living...Enjoy,Dondad

    ReplyDelete