Monday, May 7, 2012

La Feria

As much as we have loved to party in all the other countries we've been to, Spain has proven to us it loves to party the most.

Last week was the famous Feria de Abril, literally April Fair. It is a week long celebration of life and Spanish culture. It's a fair on CRACK. Rides, foods, tents with their own personal parties, and most importantly of all WAFFLES. Known in Spain as 'gofres', the waffles is a delectable play on the belgium treat smothered in chocolate or strawberry or whipped cream to your heart's desire and is the heaviest drug to which you can get addicted.

I refuse rehab. My addiction is so bad that one morning, I woke up in a cold sweat and drug the most willing human being from bed to accompany me to the fair (which doesn't close until 6AM) to get a waffle.

Best decision of my life.

This isn't just a creepy carnival fair with clowns and dunk tanks like we do in the states. This is a serious celebration. So much so that you don't even wear jeans when you attend; all of the girls, toddlers to twice divorced women wear full on flamenco dresses.

"But how do they ride the rides?" I also asked myself this question. But somehow, they get their tight mermaid-stlye dresses over the leg separator and lift off. No clue...

Los getting loco on the Inverter.
However, I must agree that if I were in that dress there wouldn't be venturing on the rides either.
My favorite: the Inverter!

Basically, there are four rows of four seats in a circular formation at the end of a pendulum. It starts swinging back and forth until eventually, you guessed it, you're completely inverted. And then there's that moment where your seat just buckles and starts swinging and your clavicle gets bruised.

It's AWESOME.

This ride, as well as the lamest haunted house I've ever enjoyed being in, a pirate ship cage, and a bouncing kangaroo ride, were all offering club music to wait in line to.

It is literally just a massive party. And it's awesome.

And it is now on my bucket list to come back in the most fabulous flamenco dress the world has ever seen and ride the Inverter.

The week ended with a 4th of July worthy fireworks show on Sunday night. Made me wanna bring the whole festival to us in July.

2 comments: